[Mailman-Users] Trouble with LARGE mailing list

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Fri Apr 19 00:20:45 CEST 2002

Wow, what a cool problem...  I think that v 2.1 (once it is out of beta) is
for you.  You'll be able to move that database into a PostGresSQL database
or any database of your choice.

I do hope that you are running a SCSI disk subsystem (or better).  That will
help immensely with resource problems.

Here is an obscure thought - what if you actually set aside some memory for
a ram drive - say about 64 Mb and then backed up the directory
~mailman/lists/<listname>/.. to the RAM drive, then moved the physical
mapping of that directory and mapped the RAM drive there.

Your database and its backups/rebuilds would all take place in RAM.  They
would be very fast so you would have less simultaneous accesses to the
database.
Every hour copy the database from RAM back to your HD somewhere.

Alternately, you could make your main list an umbrella list and then pull
folks out of the main list and into a sublist.  Mailing addresses starting
with an A would go to one list, the B's to another, the Z's to another list
and any numeric emails to yet another list.  (you would have to add each
sub-list to the main list, just like a user).

Folks would still subscribe to the main/umbrella list.  They would stay
there till that night, when your cron ran a script to pull them out and
re-subscribe them to their proper sublist.

That way all your subscribes are taking place on a nearly empty list... and
you control when all the heavy lifting occurs (the movement of folks into
the larger sub-lists).

You will have to generate your own listinfo page (not really all that hard -
just write a simple html page that does what you want and stick that in
place of the current Listinfo page - using the web admin).  Your list info
page could ask folks to enter their email address and then you would use
some back-end logic to isolate the first letter and transfer them to the
proper Listinfo page.  From there, they would be okay!

Good Luck.  Keep us in the loop and let us know what your do!

Jon