[Mailman-Users] privacy options and a "personal" mailing list.

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Mon Apr 8 22:10:32 CEST 2002

I'm trying to do something that's a tad out of the ordinary and am
having trouble getting my ducks in a row.

I subscribe to a number of fairly verbose mailing lists and prefer to
receive them as digests since my mail client (vm inside xemacs) has
great tools for bursting digests and letting me zoom through the
messages.

Sadly, most of the sites that host mailing lists have created their
own bizarre, bastardized formats.  I'm really tired of trying to
extend vm's digest burster and/or read them by "hand".

So, I decided to set up my own mailman mailing list, forward the
messages there, subscribe myself to it, and let it digestify them for
me (hurray for mailman's mime digests!).

The problem is that mailman keeps holding the messages for admin
approval, either because the people posting aren't on the list (easy
fix, allow anyone to post) or because

  "Blind carbon copies or other implicit destinations are not allowed..."

I've tried adding a variety of permutations of the address that the
list uses in it's "To:" header, including:

  DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint.*
  DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint
  DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint at yahoogroups.com

to the alias names field on the privacy page, but messages still get
help for my review.

I'm confused about what should go in the aliases field, values from
the message header or the envelope?  If it's the header, then why
don't any of the lines above match?

Any other thoughts?

g.