[Mailman-Users] Re: mailman and qmail

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Fri Apr 5 01:46:15 CEST 2002

abw wrote:

> I asked this question earlier and didn't quite get a clear response, so I
> will post it again. I apologize if I have missed any other lectures about
> it.

(i think you posted it twice in fact).  i responded to your other
message, although from the wrong address.

> I'm not positive on this, but I don't know what else it can be. The
> mailing list installs fine, but the alias file doesn't seem to update.
> I looked as best for an answer on google, but all I found were others
> who are trying to use qmail and mailman, no real answers. It almost
> seems that mailman doesn't recognize any of the email addresses sent
> to it. Maybe the aliases file has something to do with this problem?
> The two valid addresses are clearly in the administration panel on his
> list.

did you read README.QMAIL in the source directory?
not to be rude, but are you using the dot forward package, which is
required for qmail to read standard /etc/aliases style alias files?

by default, qmail uses individual files for aliases instead of one large
flat file.

have you considered switching to EZMLM (which is designed for qmail) or
switching to postfix as your MTA?

> Has anybody had success with this? I can't figure out whats wrong. My
> guess is there is a configuration problem somewhere, but where?
> Mailman? Aliases?  Any suggestions?

post your logs.  read README.QMAIL. write a script to generate the right
type of alias files for qmail, or use dot-forward.

the fact that you posted your question twice and didn't include any
logs, or any relevant information other than "it doesn't work" probably
had something to do with the fact that no one responded.

a script like this might work (watch any line wrapping your mail client
might do).

zugzug% cat makenewlist.sh
#!/bin/sh

for f in $*
do echo "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post ${f}" > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-$f
echo "|home/mailman/wrapper mailowner ${f}" > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-$f-admin
echo "&{f}-admin" > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-$f-owner
echo "|/home/mailman/wrapper mailcmd ${f}" > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-$f-request
done

actually in the README.QMAIL file, there's a better example:

#!/bin/sh
if [ $# = 1 ]; then
    i=$1
    echo Making links to $i...
    echo "|preline /home/mailman/mail/wrapper post $i" > .qmail-$i
    echo "|preline /home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner $i" > .qmail-$i-admin
    echo "|preline /home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner $i" > .qmail-$i-owner
    echo "|preline /home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner $i" > .qmail-owner-$i
    echo "|preline /home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd $i" > .qmail-$i-request
fi

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >