[Mailman-Users] mailing list archives not updating?

Steven G. Johnson stevenj at ab-initio.mit.edu
Tue Sep 25 19:37:45 CEST 2001

Hi, I am using Mailman 2.0.6 on Debian/stable/x86 (exim 3.12, apache
1.3.9), and I am having a problem with the mailing list archives
accessible but not updating for new messages received.  (I am not using
the Debian package of mailman; mine is installed from source.)

The problem occurred when I moved mailman over to a new server a couple of
months ago.  Everything seemed to be working fine--email is going through
the list, the cgi admin interface works, and the old archives are
viewable--but the archive isn't being updated to reflect new messages.

I've gone through the installation instructions again, run the check_perms
script, tried updating to 2.0.6 (I had been using an earlier version,
2.0.4 maybe?), but to no avail.  The FAQ entries seem to pertain to the
archives not being viewable at all, which is not the case for me.  Doing
'crontab -l' as the mailman user reveals that the crontab.in file seems to
be correctly loaded.  I've also tried running
	/usr/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
manually (this seemes to be the relevant line in the crontab).

Can anyone suggest something else to try, or where to look?  (I'm not even
sure where the messages-to-be-archived are stored.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson