[Mailman-Users] FreeBSD + Mailman 2.06 + Sendmail problem.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Sep 25 18:57:04 CEST 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:23:31 -0300
Bruno G Albuquerque <bga at bug-br.org.br> wrote:

> Hello.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to look for help,
> but I hope so. I running Mailman in a FreeBSD box with sendmail as
> the MTA and I'm having a problem.

1) You're running Sendmail.  You'd be wise to change to a more
performant MTA.  Recommend either Exim or Postfix depending on your
background and needs (see archives for discussion).

2) Its likely you have Sendmail configured to do DNS verifies os
messages received from localhost (and everywhere else).  Turn it
off.  This is a major performance burner.

3) Install a local cacheing name server.

4) More recent versions of Mailman handle the queues better than
older.

> BTW, I did read the FAQ and I saw the first answer in the FAQ
> may be the answer to my problem, but I scanned the sendmail.cf
> file from top to bottom and couldn't find an option to configure
> the DNS resolution.

Chuq Von Rospach has posted instructions here or to -developers (see
the archives).

> Anyway, qrunner seems to be the problem as it simply does nothign
> after running.

Without seeing your system I can't say exactly that it is doing.  If
you're running an older Mailman version it may just be lock
contention.  Try removing ~/locks/*, and then running qrunner from
the appropriate UID which watching the relevant logs (both Mailman's
and your MTAs).

--
J C Lawrence