[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_HOSTNAME? (fwd)

eric-mailman at pretorious.net eric-mailman at pretorious.net
Tue Sep 25 20:00:22 CEST 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Greg Ward wrote:

> On 25 September 2001, eric-mailman at pretorious.net said:
> > Here are the system values that I set before configuring:
> >
> >   `hostname www`
> >   `hostname funkymonkeybutt.com`
>
> A Unix host has one hostname.  One...

A typo on my part: I used `domainname funkymonkeybutt.com`
                           ^^^^^^^^^^
> > Here are the settings I used to configure Mailman:
> >
> >   --build=funkymonkeybutt.com
> >   --host=www
> >   --target=/cgi-bin/mailman
>
> Umm, where did you get the idea that those are even remotely relevant?

<sarcasm>Given the overwhelmingly thorough documentation that comes with
Mailman, I can't imagine why anyone would experiment with anything that
remotely resembles a glimpse of hope but isn't referenced in the
documentation.</sarcasm>

>From "./configure --help" (for *any* autoconf-generated configure script
> -- this has nothing to do with Mailman):
>
>   Host type:
>     --build=BUILD           configure for building on BUILD [BUILD=HOST]
>     --host=HOST             configure for HOST [guessed]
>     --target=TARGET         configure for TARGET [TARGET=HOST]
>
> These options are for cross-compilation.  If you're not building Mailman
> on architecture FOO to run on architecture BAR, they are utterly
> irrelevant.

So do you have any answers? Or just bullets to shoot holes in my [futile]
attempts to get Mailman to function logically?

I was just using these to see if they had any affect at all on the way
Mailman functions. They don't. Now I know why. Thanks.

Bah humbug!

--
Eric P.
Los Gatos, CA