[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_HOSTNAME? (fwd)

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Tue Sep 25 17:08:07 CEST 2001

On 25 September 2001, eric-mailman at pretorious.net said:
> Here are the system values that I set before configuring:
>
>   `hostname www`
>   `hostname funkymonkeybutt.com`

A Unix host has one hostname.  One.  Typically, that hostname has *no
dots* in it -- ie. DNS domain names just don't enter into it.  (ISTR
that Red Hat really likes hostnames with dots in them, though.)

> Here are the settings I used to configure Mailman:
>
>   --build=funkymonkeybutt.com
>   --host=www
>   --target=/cgi-bin/mailman

Umm, where did you get the idea that those are even remotely relevant?
>From "./configure --help" (for *any* autoconf-generated configure script
-- this has nothing to do with Mailman):

  Host type:
    --build=BUILD           configure for building on BUILD [BUILD=HOST]
    --host=HOST             configure for HOST [guessed]
    --target=TARGET         configure for TARGET [TARGET=HOST]

These options are for cross-compilation.  If you're not building Mailman
on architecture FOO to run on architecture BAR, they are utterly
irrelevant.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org