[Mailman-Users] Sendmail getting bum rap...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 17:24:12 CEST 2001

On Thursday 25 October 2001 10:48, Timothy Brier wrote:
> I couldn't agree more.  I was using the RPMs from RedHat with Sendmail.
> It was taking about 30 minutes to deliver 500 messages.
>
> I downloaded and  installed Postfix (not the RPM) and watched the time
> drop to 1 minute and 45 seconds.

I run Sendmail at work (and have also run Postfix).  I run Postfix at home
and at a few contract clients - Mandrake defaults to postfix.  The postfix
works just fine, and I have no problems with it.  My sendmail works just
fine and I have no problems with it either.

The performance I get with loads of 100k messages/day is very similar with
both Postfix and Sendmail.  If it is taking you over 5 minutes to deliver
500 messages (< 50k each) from a sendmail server, then something is wrong
with:
  - the install/configuration of your Sendmail
  - the cpu/disk subsystem of your PC
  - your DNS must be caca.

===

I my corporate mail servers, I install Sendmail from source and optimize it
based on the articles on http://www.sendmail.org.  The whole process takes
about 4 hours, and the end result is a spiffy mailserver that handles a
pounding very well and keeps delivering.

I have no bias against Postfix.  I like it just fine.  Sendmail also works
just fine.

Now if you are processing huge amounts of email on a nice server with SCSI
disk subsystems, you will see a definite advantage while using Postfix.
This advantage is lost however on a moderate level server with an IDE disk
subsystem.

Just speaking from my own experience.  If anyone has a real definitive
study showing otherwise, I would like to see it.

Jon Carnes