[Mailman-Users] Newbie Question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 17 19:29:22 CEST 2001

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 12:21, Trudy A. Curtis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have just begun using Mailman in the last few weeks and are still in
> the process of figuring things out.  So far, it looks pretty good.   I've
> noticed that email submissions to a list include a lot of extra
> information about the list servers,  such as

> As it turns out, our configuration is set up so that users can't actually
> access any of this information (our Linux server is not accessible to the
> public), so this information is confusing the users.  I haven't been able
> to find a way to shut this header off so that it does not get added to
> the outgoing messages.  Anyone out there know how to do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Trudy

You can certainly turn these off by editing the source code and then
recompiling.  In your case this is fairly easy.

Greping through the source code indicates that the headers are added in :
  ~mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py

A good way into that file you will see something like this:

    listinfo = mlist.GetScriptURL('listinfo', absolute=1)
    #
    # TBD: List-Id is not in the RFC, but it was in an earlier draft so we
    # leave it in for historical reasons.
    headers = {
        'List-Id'         : listid,
        'List-Help'       : '<mailto:%s?subject=help>' % requestaddr,
        'List-Unsubscribe': subfieldfmt % (listinfo, requestaddr, 'un'),
        'List-Subscribe'  : subfieldfmt % (listinfo, requestaddr, ''),
        'List-Post'       : '<mailto:%s>' % mlist.GetListEmail(),
        }
    #

It's all in plain text.  Feel free to edit or delete (or add your own
fields).  I would at a minimum keep "List-Id":

    listinfo = mlist.GetScriptURL('listinfo', absolute=1)
    #
    # TBD: List-Id is not in the RFC, but it was in an earlier draft so we
    # leave it in for historical reasons.
    headers = {
        'List-Id'         : listid,
        }