[Mailman-Users] Catholic Information Network (CIN) Moderators List flooded with blank emails

Norbert Bollow nb at thinkcoach.com
Wed Oct 3 13:04:45 CEST 2001

> Dear Mailman list:
>
> Since the Catholic Information Network (CIN) changed to the Mailman program
> yesterday, our moderators' list (which has 40 to 50
> moderators) is flooded with blank emails.  Each moderator's
> list gets them with the name of his or her own list.
> E.G. mine come to cinjub-admin at cin.org    The forwarded letter
> below blanks come to cinmain-admin at cin.org because he is the
> moderator of the CINMAIN list.  Can anyone offer suggestions?

Obviously, check the maillog carefully.  What triggers the
generation of these messages?  Are you using demime or some
other tool in a pipe to Mailman, that might choke on some
types of messages?

(One way to create a bounce-loop is to use demime on the list-admin
address, and have one list-owner's email address generate bouces
of a MIME type that demime cannot handle... this type of
bounce-loop will flood the other list-owners with empty messages
like you have described.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com