[Mailman-Users] Need help with check_perms under RedHat 7.2

Fieldus, Glenn gfieldus at csu.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 11:50:49 CET 2001

Greetings,

Not being fluent in Python, I've hit a snag with check_perms under a vanilla
RedHat 7.2 installation.
I've been following the docs under /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.0.6;
README.REDHAT, and now INSTALL.

I skipped the configure and build phases, as I've noticed that Mailman comes
pre-installed (under /var/mailman). While ruuning
/var/mailman/bin/check_perms (as root), I get the following error:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./check_perms", line 50, in ?
    MAILMAN_GRPNAME = grp.getgrgid(MAILMAN_GID)[0]
TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation

I'm running the script as root as all the files are owned by root.
There is an existing mailman account and group, and I've tried 'chown -R
mailman:mailman /var/mailman' but still get the error when I run the script
as mailman.
'python -V' shows Python 1.5.2, the correct version mentioned in the install
docs.

Any suggestions folks? I'm stuck.

cheers,
glenn