[Mailman-Users] List user management problems

Robert Benites benites at cs.unca.edu
Fri Nov 2 16:19:03 CET 2001

I am running Mailman 2.0.6 on a Compaq Tru64 UNIX 5.1 system.

I reviewd the open bugs at SourceForge and didn't see a problem such
as this described there. I tried posting this using the bug reporting
mechanism at SourceForge, but when I tried to just use my e-mail
address, my browser crashed. I thought I'd post it here to to see if
someone else had seen a problems such as this.

To begin, I created a list, ms-adm, which seemed to go fine.

When I tried to add a list of users using the adminstrator's
membership management page, while the users were subscribed, eg. list
admins received a subscription notification mail message with the
correct subscriber addresses, and the users show up as members using
the list_members command, they never got a welcome message with their
password.

This problem seems to be intermittent, I added two users at the outset
on the Membership Management page and they got a welcome message with
their password, but when I entered a larger group (17 users) they
seemed to be added, but never got the welcome message.

In addition, when I do a dumpdb, I see entries foreach of this second
group of users which look like:

    'bounce_info': {   'bennett-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.71, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'bland-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.17, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'brock-owner at cs.unca.edu': [1004707922.36, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'dperkins-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.06, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'elkin-owner at cs.unca.edu': [1004707922.01, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'fcooper-owner at unca.edu': [1004707922.23, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'frandall-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.59, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'honeycutt-owner at unca.edu': [1004707922.91, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'mculbertson-owner at unca.edu': [   1004707923.44,
                                                         2.0,
                                                         2.0],
                       'msmall-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.28, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'mstoffan-owner at bulldog.unca.edu': [   1004707864.32,
                                                              2.0,
                                                              2.0],
                       'parker-owner at unca.edu': [1004707922.69, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'reynolds-owner at unca.edu': [1004707868.14, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'robin-owner at unca.edu': [1004707923.83, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'rwhite-owner at unca.edu': [1004707867.72, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'selliott-owner at unca.edu': [1004707922.52, 2.0, 2.0],
                       'shepherd-owner at bulldog.unca.edu': [   1004707896.47,
                                                              2.0,
                                                              2.0]},

One of the users I added was bennett at unca.edu, another was
bland at unca.edu.

Also, during list setup, I never changed any of the bounce options.

If these users go to the listinfo page enter their address, eg.
bland at unca.edu for instance, and click "edit options" they see
bland-owner at unca.edu, rather than bland at unca.edu.

This is the _only_ list I'm having problems with.

It seems I should only have the list administrators in the bounce_info
variables, or is that an incorrect assumption? How can I fix the
database? I am unsure of the python syntax.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Bob Benites