[Mailman-Users] problems with the config.db permissions

Tib tib at tigerknight.org
Thu May 10 03:05:05 CEST 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Dan Mick wrote:

> Doublecheck your version of check_perms; the code is there, and it
> works, in 2.0.5.  Are you running check_perms from the installed
> bin/ directory as the instructions and about a billion posts on this
> list say?

Yes. I did.

> check_perms should be finding all this; you need to find out what's going
> wrong with check_perms.

I tested with changing permissions/ownerships around on a few things to see
what check_perms would and would not catch, and found an something interesting:
Check_perms wants to set the gid to 'mail' and /not/ mailman. But mailman
itself spits out errors with this gid setting. I have no idea why it worked so
far up to this point, or very possibly it never did but the list was not tested
to the complete functionality up to this point by the low traffic of my lists.
Rather than fight with reinstalling mailman or some other extreme bit of work,
I just put mailman in the group 'mail' and now things seem to be running
smoothly again. Good grief what a headache this whole fiasco has been, my
apologies for the upset.

<EOL>
Tib