[Mailman-Users] Re: More spam :-(

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Mon Mar 26 22:34:07 CEST 2001

On 09:46 AM 3/26/01, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
 >JC Dill wrote:
 >
 >> It shouldn't be that hard for those who write mailing list software to
 >> program and configure their own "user's list" to only accept posts that are
 >> either A) from subscribers or B) have the list product (mailman) mentioned
 >> somewhere in the body of the post.
 >
 >    a) There are several automated bots that do subscriptions through a
variety
 >of list servers.  Nothing will stop a post from coming through if that
account
 >is subscribed.

In 3 years of list administration, including several large and active
lists, I have *yet* to have a spammer subscribe (bot or no) to a list in
order to send spam to it.  Theoretically it is possible, but in practice I
have yet to see it done.  Do you have any evidence that this is what is
actually happening in this case?

 >    b) It is, in the footer and the subject tag

First, any given post to the list should be matched against the list
subscriber role.  If the post is from a subscriber, post it.  If the post
is from a non-subscriber, subject content filtering (such as checking to
see if the message mentions "mailman") should happen before the post is
approved (automatically or manually) for being distributed to the list.  If
a footer or list subject tag are added, that should happen after the post
is approved for being distributed to the list.  So the footer and subject
tag should have no impact on content filtering to determine if a
non-subscriber post should be distributed to the list.

jc