More spam :-( Was Re: [Mailman-Users] Would you like toreceive information on registering your pet online for free?

Dan Mick dan.mick at west.sun.com
Mon Mar 26 21:26:19 CEST 2001

JC Dill wrote:

> On 06:02 PM 3/25/01, hermag at excite.com wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >Would you like to know how to register your pet online for free?
>
> No, but I'd like to know what it takes to get this list configured so it
> stops allowing spammers to post to it.

Aren't there more important wars to fight?

I'd estimate I get one spam every three weeks from mailman-users.  I must
get one every two minutes from everywhere else.

> It shouldn't be that hard for those who write mailing list software to
> program and configure their own "user's list" to only accept posts that are
> either A) from subscribers or B) have the list product (mailman) mentioned
> somewhere in the body of the post.
>
> The fact that this hasn't been done makes the product in question (mailman)
> look less attractive to those who are considering using it...

If you can reason from "the way this particular list is administered" to
"the capabilities for administration", you're not reasoning correctly.