[Mailman-Users] using mailman in our product

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Fri Mar 9 05:07:42 CET 2001

> Hi,

Hi, Shannon.

> My name is Shannon McCormick and I am a member of the technology
> team @ 4charity http://www.4charity.com.  We are an Application
> Service Provider (ASP) for the Non-Profit industry.  We are
> currently developing a Email List Management product that we will
> make available to our customers.  We are interested in using
> Mailman as the underlying email engine for sending messages and
> handling bounces.  We are building the entire user interface and
> managing/storing the list, message  and user information
> ourselves.  We will be charging our customers by some metric to
> use our product.  What license is Mailman covered by (I believe
> it is the GNU GPL)?  Does Mailman's license allow it to be used
> in this capacity?

It seems that you are asking for legal advice.  I think that the best
thing to do would be to have your legal department look at the GPL.
You wouldn't really rely (or bet your business) on legal advice from a
bunch of hackers, would you?

Anyway, I think you would be fine.  I charge for services based on
Free Software all the time.

-Peter