[Mailman-Users] Multiple installations still having trouble

Dave Melton dmelton at banzuke.com
Wed Mar 7 03:20:12 CET 2001

A few days ago, I asked for ideas on a problem I'm having setting
up multiple installations on the same machine.  The one recommendation
I received was to set up all of the installations under the
"mailman.mailman" UID.GID, rather than creating separate users and
groups for each domain's installation.  I've now done that, and am
having the same problem I had before.

The web interface works fine. I can subscribe people from the web,
they get the welcome message and I get the notification message.
But when I post to the list, it bounces with the following error:

Mailman error: post got bad listname: board
554 5.3.0 "|/home/mailman/lists.erc/mail/wrapper post board"... unknown
mailer error 1

What I can tell from this is that the message was received, routed
to the correct script, and the script was able to execute.  For
some reason, the "post" script can't tell that the list is there!

What the heck have I done wrong?

Thanks,
  Dave Melton