[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

claw at kanga.nu claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jun 26 07:46:27 CEST 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:21:20 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> My problem is the false positive problem. You can tune it to catch
> 90% of the mail loops, but mail loops are generally pretty
> infrequent anyway. But can you tune it to do that AND not cause
> false positives with your prolific posters? That's not so
> easy. You run the risk of throttling key posters or motivated
> discussions -- all in the name of occasionally catching a mail
> loop.

> I've found that false positives are VERY bad things on a list. So
> I'd rather do without a filter than one that causes them, unless
> it's very, very important to trap whatever Im trapping.

Ultimately I'd like to see separate moderate queues for the
different hold reasons (at least at the UI level).  Thus, for
instance I'd like to be able to view just the messages held for
moderator approval, just those caught by the spam filters, just
those held by the loop-detectors, etc.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows