[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Jun 26 01:37:51 CEST 2001

On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 04:22 PM, Amanda wrote:

>  I now
> have a filter that reads something like this: "If this text appears in
> the
> subject or body of the message, send it to the trash mailbox: out of the
> office; [..etc...]

And once you've done that, add in german, french, russian, spanish,
portugese, japanese, chinese and the other languages people write these
things in... I'm blessed with a hugely international audience on some of
my lists. (My mother used to be an ob/gyn nurse in a county hospital.
She could, as she used to joke, say "push" in 17 languages. I've come to
understand that one very well....)

> Yesterday one stupid user blew another hole in my filtering: Her away
> message read "away fromthe office". As we send daily messages, and she's
> going to be away fromthe office for more than a month, I went ahead and
> added her typoed message to my filtering.

me, I just nuke their subscriptions. If you don't, they have no
motivation to figure it out and fix it. Generally, the first time, they
get unsubscribed. the second, they get banned.

> Filter that. <shaking head>

I have this mental image, which includes some very motivated finger
gesturing. But that's probably not what you meant...

How about never?  Is never good for you?