[Mailman-Users] unsubscriptions

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Fri Jun 15 18:22:56 CEST 2001

> How about this:  Put a link "to unsubscribe click here" at the
> bottom of every mail you send out.  That link has the
> subscriber's email address embedded in it,

That's what has been discussed - it can't be done in the current state, cause the MTA gets stuff in batches, not just one message at a time.

> and it leads to a CGI
> program which checks (by means of a reverse DNS lookup) whether
> the IP address from which the click comes belongs to the same
> domain as the email address for which unsubscription is
> requested.

That will work for maybe 10% of addresses.  I know that none of my many internet connections reverse lookup to anything close to my email address domain.  That includes the machine IP address, as well as my mail server address.

Unfortunately, no simple way around it.

Bob