[Mailman-Users] Almost there

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 11:10:04 CEST 2001

On 03 Jun 2001 01:48:33 -0700, Mike T. Gholson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On my Redhat 7.1 system, I had troubles with Mailman and Sendmail.
> So, I switched my MTA.  I'm now using Exim.
> I can create the list, the email is sent to the list owner, and
> the web-page is created.  When I try to subscribe, it also sends
> me a confirmation email.

So it can send mail but not receive it.

First thing to do is see if this works on the local machine using the
exim address debug facilities - ie on the exim.org box:-
  > /usr/sbin/exim -d2 -bt exim-users at exim.org
  Exim version 3.13 debug level 2 uid=501 gid=501
  Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
  system_aliases director: cdb key=exim-users
    file="/var/exim/aliases.cdb"
  system_aliases director failed for exim-users:
  list_director director called for exim-users at exim.org
  queued for list_transport transport: local_part=exim-users
domain=exim.org
  list_director director succeeded for exim-users
  exim-users at exim.org
    deliver to exim-users in domain exim.org
    director = list_director, transport = list_transport

You may possibly get permissions problems showing up there... although
thats unlikely.  Most likely problem is going to be that the domain you
have your lists in is not mentioned in local_domains.

If that works, then HUP your main daemon to make *very* sure its running
off that config file and not a previous incarnation - killall -HUP exim
will be OK.

Then make sure that mail to your list domain really does go to that MTA
- DNS mistakes are easy to make.

    Nigel
[ ----- Security is not an add-on -- security is a way of life ----- ]