[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #1317 - 19 msgs

Chuck Moss cmmm at mossc.com
Thu Jul 12 05:13:39 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:46:31AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:50:32 -0400
> bob  <Puff at NLE" <bob at nleaudio.com>> wrote:
>
> > Yes it would, at least for me.  /usr is for program files, and is
> > somewhat limited in size.  If that's all it was used for, that
> > would be fine.. but when the archives are in the same place, and
> > start growing, that is a major problem.  Right now I probably have
> > close to a half gig of archives, and I don't have that major of
> > lists.
>
> > /home or /var is a better place for that stuff.
>
> symlinks are your friend.  Just link out the directories you want
> elsewhere.

politely disagree ;-)  symlinks are a workaround for poorly sized partitions
or bad directory structures.  Just my opinion.

Even though mailman is cross platform the newly release LSB 1.0 may have
some useful guidelines.

I like to think /usr can be mounted read-only in most cases.
/var/ is a good place for files/logs/archives etc that grow.

I personally would prefer the following scheme:
program in /usr
archives in /var
configs in /etc

The package would get installed in /usr.  no need to backup application
could be re-installed from scratch or patched independently of the tree.

Archives in /var could be part of a backup rotation.

/etc/mailman would be all the custom config for each list.  This of course
gets saved in CVS.

Chuck Moss