[Mailman-Users] A question of list size...

Oliver Egginger Oliver.Egginger at dvz.fh-giessen.de
Tue Jul 10 15:43:27 CEST 2001

I think your using of "mailman" isn't in the scope of this software.

>      I have a list of approximately 450,000 names

If I catch the sense of "mailman", I dare to say thats "mailman"
has the purpose to support the administration of the "classical"
internet mailing list,  by providing a very nice user-interface for
"little" list, which are often changed on several occasions.

I wouldn't keep 450,000 entries in a mailing list, cause it's
conjecturable that this entity isn't a mailing list.
:-)

and remember :

"The use, supply or promotion of Exim for the purpose of sending bulk,
unsolicited electronic mail is incompatible with the basic aims of the program,
which revolve around the free provision of a service that enhances the
quality of personal communications."

-- Philip Hazel

Message from Mo 09 jul 2001 21:43:
> Everyone;
>      I have a list of approximately 450,000 names which I have imported
> into one list for Mailman, and now the list interface is no longer
> available. The browser times out before the admin page ever appears.  For
> me it wouldn't be that much of a problem, since I'd just use the command
> line tools, except that another person is expecting to be able to use the
> web interface.  Is there any way to solve this problem other than throwing
> the list onto a *much* faster box, since I think the problem right now is
> that it's taking so long to parse the database that the browser times out
> waiting for a response.
>

> Thanks
> Barclay McInnes

Oliver Egginger