[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe without passwords [was So all you people that wanted autoreject...]

Satya satyap at satya.virtualave.net
Sun Jan 21 02:54:10 CET 2001

On Jan 20, 2001 at 06:21, Gergely Soros wrote:

>From: "Satya" <satyap at satya.virtualave.net>
>> And all you people who wanted unsubscribe without passwords ... :-)

>[...] our current problem is not the lack of the
>confirmation system but the following: many people are sending their
>messages to listname-unsubscribe at domain from a different address than
>what they are subscribed as. Of course they don't auto-receive any feedback
>when the action has failed, only the mail user receives Mailman's standard
>"problems with the email commands" message. As a temp solution I'm

This happens with my Perl mailman wrapper?

>of the list post mail...). Anyway, the dream-unsubscribe-script would first
>check the list db, if the addrss is there, send the confirm message otherwise
>send one with the instructions. I know this could get difficult and probably
>involve too much work, pls tell me your thoughts.

This is simple enough, we can use bin/list_members and search that. The
problem lies in getting access to the data. mailman home directory has
permissions which are too loose for procmail. No other user has the
permissions to access the list config files.

One could have a mailman-owned cron job put all that data into a database,
and the scripts can then read the data from there.

--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
US-bound grad students! For pre-apps, see <URL:http://quickapps.cjb.net/>