[Mailman-Users] Return-Path Problem

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 11:06:09 CET 2001

Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM said:
> 1) I'm almost certain Mailman doesn't set it; the MTAs somewhere along
> the path are.  return-path doesn't appear in the mailman code in any
> capitalization (except one comment).

should not appear in a message in transit.  Its basically a place to
put the envelope-from address into although it may be munged in some
way (ie source route back - can you remember UUCP).

Eric Wang <MRlist at ActiveState.com> said:-
> My question is can we change the way mailman to organize message
> somehow, then the email address ABC-admin won't get the email it should
> not get?

That mail client is broken.  Get it fixed or stop using it.  Do not
break other software to match its broken view of the world.  The only
way to "fix" this is to make the list address the envelope-from address
- that means all the bounces go to the list as well.  Do you *really
want this???

Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM said:
> 2) read http://cr.yp.to/immhf/envelope.html; according to djb, it
> *must* be set to ABC-admin; any other setting would be wrong.

> 3) order of headers can't matter to an email client; any such client
> is *horribly* broken.

> What email client are we talking about?

Whole hearted agree there - and if we find what mail client it is, and
it puts a signature line in the headers, we should probably prevent it
sending to, subscribing or confirming a subscription to the list - it
will make life so much better all round.

	Nigel.