[Mailman-Users] Recovering/resetting a list admin password

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Jan 6 03:38:19 CET 2001

At 15:29 -0500 1/5/01, Jim Trigg wrote:
>At 02:28 PM 12/26/00, J C Lawrence wrote:
>>On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 09:08:39 -0500
>>Jim Trigg <blaise at scadian.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I lost the email giving me my list admin password for one list.
>> > The site admin claims that there is no way to either recover or
>> > reset that password, and that I have to recreate the list.  Is
>> > that true, or can he use the site admin password to get access to
>> > the list administrative page and reset the password that way?  It
>> > looks to me from the documentation that he should be able to.
>>
>>They can do exactly as you suggest.  However internal security
>>concerns, especially those surrounding forgery and impersonation may
>>preculde them from doing what you ask.
>
>Then may I suggest to the Mailman development team that a way to get the
>administrative password emailed to the listed administrators would be
>useful (analogous to the button on the user options page to email the user
>password to the user).  I find that being forced to recreate the list
>simply because I forgot a password is rather unfortunate.

Well, to be sent back, the admin password would have to be kept around.
Which is a security issue, about which something would have to be done.
Theft of the admin password for a list is a more serious matter than theft
of a subscriber's password.

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA