[Mailman-Users] URLs in my top listinfo page are incorrect..?

Paul D. Smith pausmith at nortelnetworks.com
Sun Feb 18 08:18:13 CET 2001

OK, I installed Mailman 2.0.1 on a Debian GNU/Linux box (I built it
myself, though, I didn't use a Debian package).

I configured my Apache 1.3.17 server to have a virtual host
list.my.domain.com, like this:

  <VirtualHost 100.10.10.100>
    Servername lists.my.domain.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/mailman/2.0.1"
    ServerAdmin psmith at lists.my.domain.com
    CustomLog /home/apache/var/logs/lists.my.domain.com.combined_log combined
    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/2.0.1/cgi-bin/
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/

    <Directory "/home/mailman/archives/public">
       AllowOverride None
       Options FollowSymLinks
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
    </Directory>

    <Directory "/home/mailman/2.0.1/cgi-bin">
       AllowOverride None
       Options None
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
    </Directory>

  </VirtualHost>

Now, I can get to the homepage of my lists, which gives a URL of
<http://lists.my.domain.com/mailman/listinfo/somelist>, which seems
right.

I can also get to the pipermail archives; that all works fine.

However, all the links on the listinfo page to places like the roster,
the admin interface, and even the link on the bottom which is supposed
to point back to the listinfo page are broken.

Instead of pointing to <http://lists.my.domain.com/mailman/roster/somelist>,
for example, the page points to <http://lists.my.domain.com/roster/somelist>
(note the missing "mailman/" in the path).

Needless to say, none of these links work.

When I view the source for the page the reason is obvious: there's one
too many "../"'s in the relative paths of the URLs.  For example, the
form button to the roster page is

  <FORM Method=POST ACTION="../../roster/somelist">

which is clearly wrong, both based on what it does and comparing it to
the source for other pages (such as the listinfo for this list :).  It
should just be:

  <FORM Method=POST ACTION="../roster/somelist">

Likewise, the link to the listinfo page is similarly wrong:

Help!  What could be causing this?  Where should I look?

I tried to follow the Python code but the calculation of this path,
starting in Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py where FormatListListinfo() invokes
FormatFormStart() gets pretty deep, then I got down to
Mailman/Utils.py:ScriptURL() when I got pretty confused :-/.

Thanks for any pointers or tips...

 Paul D. Smith <psmith at baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools