[Mailman-Users] Stupid Headers

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Fri Feb 16 18:34:05 CET 2001

Jeez.  Time for the asbestos suits.

Mr. Hillson, Ed, and others should realize that honey catches more
flies than vinegar.  And that the majority of Mailman developers
aren't being paid for this work.  Don't try to fire volunteers.
They're hard to find.

A question to Mr. Hillson and others, though.  If you're just
doing announcement lists.  Why bother with Mailman?  A simple alias
list under any reasonable MTA should be more than sufficient to
the job.   Then you don't get _any_ headers from the list
server.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 11:03:18AM -0600, Thomas Hillson wrote:
> There are probably lots of people out there who would like to
> get rid of the stupid headers. But unlike Ed Lazor, they are not
> willing to take the crap you have been throwing at him.
>
> None of my lists are subscription lists they are information
> lists where my boss and the other administrators are sending
> information to a preset list of users. The headers are stupid
> and confusing, there is no reason for them on these lists.
>
> After I saw all the bashing Ed has taken I emailed him about
> it and got the information directly on how the modify the
> CookHeaders.py file and clean out all that junk.
>
> I would much rather you the developers would pull your collective
> heads back on to a plane where the rest of us exist and create an
> option that allows us to list by list have the headers or remove
> them. There are some lists that I am creating now that could use
> the headers, but since I had to hack the code to remove them, they
> are gone.
>
> If you do not want to be friendly and helpful that is great we
> will just continue to hack the code to make it work the way it
> needs to under out conditions.
>
> I do disagree with Ed it is not a matter of freedom, it is a matter of
> respect, and some of you having not shown any respect for Ed and his
> opinions. He started out being very respectful of you and he had been
> very considerate until some of you started getting nasty about him
> requesting for something constructive changes be made that would help
> him and other users. However some of you have decided that your view
> of mailman and how it works is some sacred dogma, and any changes that
> might upset your sacred cow are stupid and you should belittle and
> attack the person making the suggestions. He has never called any of
> you names or attacked you but several of you have made it a policy to
> belittle and attack every post he has made.
>
> This is the worst group I have ever seen when it comes to responding
> to someone's reasonable request. Most Linux and Open Source Developers
> I have communicated with and worked with respect the user and take
> their comments as possible recommendations.
>
> I will probably never post to this list again, but I was feed up with
> the crap some of you were feeding to Ed and I just want you to know
> his opinions are shared by others.
>
> --
> | Tom Hillson                 Computer Services Manager
> | hillson at iastate.edu         College of Agriculture
> | http://www.ag.iastate.edu   Iowa State University
> | (515) 294-1543 phone        B2 Curtiss Hall
> | (515) 294-1349 fax          Ames, IA   50011

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>     Technical Manager & Correspondent
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549     Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549      URL    http://www.linuxjournal.com/