[Mailman-Users] Mail headers with Mailman

Ed Lazor osmosis at atfantasy.com
Thu Feb 15 20:17:35 CET 2001

>The users should not be shown these headers by a sane MUA.  If your MUA
>is forcing these headers on users then it is non-RFC compliant and
>should be taken out and shot.

Aren't these headers part of the "proposed" RFC?  If so, you can't call the
MUA non-RFC compliant, since the proposal hasn't been finalized and approved.

As I mentioned last week, forcing mailing list admins to make their
subscribers switch email clients or make modifications to their current
email clients is unreasonable.

>"Fixing" Mailman to not add the useful headers makes Mailman less
>useful to those of us with capable mail systems and reduces the
>pressure on those writing MUAs to do a decent job.  Also a number of
>the headers added by Mailman are critical in the prevention of mail
>loops - and if that happened you would be crying out for us to put the
>headers back in again.

As I also mentioned last week, it's better to support the standard in a way
that also supports the users of mailman.  This can be done by adding the
new headers to mailman and making their use optional.  Best of all, this
will avoid problems like the one you mention of mail loops, because the
developers of mailman will have the knowledge and expertise necessary
to determine which headers should be optional.

-Ed