[Mailman-Users] Approved header

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.west.sun.com
Sat Feb 3 05:34:26 CET 2001

> For what it's worth.  The Approve.py handler in mailman does seem to check
> for the Approved: header and will compare it's value to the mail list
> admin password.  It looks like this should work fine from what I've found
> in the source.  However, it doesn't seem to.
>
> Is there any way to make mailman produce some type of debugging output?

yes, it's pretty easy, but requires a bit of Python hackery.
Luckily, that's easy.

Look for "syslog" in some of the existing files.  You'll need

1) the import statement

2) the call to syslog, where you can use your own filename which will
   be created in '~mailman/logs'

3) to understand the Python idiom "string % (tuple)", for instance
'integer: %d string: %s' % (5, "foobar")
which will substitute like printf does and end up with a string like
'integer: 5 string: foobar'
that you can log.