[Mailman-Users] MailMan/VirtualHosts/Postfix

Ryan Creasey ryan at p11.com
Sat Aug 25 01:24:49 CEST 2001

Heh, no problem... I seriously spent a whole week trying to get this to
work right on my fbsd box; I know how fusterating this can be. :)

Hrm, maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.  Thinking about it, I
know what the problem is as well.  Have you set the cron processes up
for mailman?  It's kind of an obscure place to mention it, but in the
INSTALL document, under item '4. Final system set-up', there's a part
that explains your problem:

    - IMPERATIVE!  IMPORTANT!  DO THIS!  YOU'LL BE SORRY IF YOU DON'T!

      Set up the crontab entries.  Mailman runs a number of cron jobs
      for its basic functionality.  You need to be user `mailman' (or
      whatever you specified as --with-ownername) to perform this
      step.  Add $prefix/cron/crontab.in as a crontab entry by
      executing these commands:

          % su - mailman
          % cd $prefix/cron
          % crontab crontab.in

I think that should solve your problem.  It sounds like the mail is
being sent to the list, but mailman is deciding to not deliver it.  If
this isn't the case, try doing a 'tail -f /var/log/maillog' (or your
equivalent log file) and try sending to the list.  You should see
something similar to this:

Aug 24 16:21:18 khyron postfix/cleanup[97755]: 3C53245C:
message-id=<001801c12cf3$839c05c0$0701a8c0 at rcreasey01>
Aug 24 16:21:18 khyron postfix/qmgr[94409]: 3C53245C:
from=<kaneda at housekurita.net>, size=854, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 24 16:21:18 khyron postfix/smtpd[97754]: disconnect from
unknown[151.199.86.100]
Aug 24 16:21:18 khyron postfix/local[97760]: 3C53245C:
to=<dcms at khyron.p11.com>, relay=local, delay=1, status=sent
("|/home/mail/mailman/mail/wrapper post dcms")

Yes?  Well then your list is receiving the messages fine.  If your crons
are setup correctly, just keep watching your maillog and eventually you
should see this:

Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/smtpd[97754]: connect from
localhost[127.0.0.1]
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/qmgr[94409]: 18F4745E:
from=<dcms-admin at housekurita.net>, size=2004, nrcpt=19 (queue active)
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/smtpd[97754]: 47877460:
client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/cleanup[97755]: 47877460:
message-id=<001801c12cf3$839c05c0$0701a8c0 at rcreasey01>
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/smtpd[97754]: disconnect from
localhost[127.0.0.1]
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/qmgr[94409]: 47877460:
from=<dcms-admin at housekurita.net>, size=2025, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 24 16:22:02 khyron postfix/smtp[97791]: E01E145C:
to=<kaneda at housekurita.net>, relay=mta2.nts.uci.edu[128.200.220.4],
delay=1, status=sent (250 2.0.0 f7ONKDT18926 Message accepted for
delivery)

If you don't see the response mail from 'list-admin at domain.com' soon,
then it's your crons.

Ryan C. Creasey