[Mailman-Users] Correct upper-ascii encoding in outgoing messages

Emmanuel Beuque ml at mediaserv.fr
Fri Aug 24 09:42:07 CEST 2001

Hi,

I'm a new user of Mailman and got v2.0.3 installed by my provider.
I try to set up Mailman in order to manage a french-speaking mailing-list so I would like accented and diacritical chars that I put in customized welcome messages to be correctly encoded and readable by any new subscribers.

class UserNotification(OutgoingMessage):
    def __init__(self, recip, sender, subject=None, text=''):
        text = "MIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1\nContent-transfer-encoding: 8bit\n" + text
        OutgoingMessage.__init__(self, text)
        if subject is None:
            subject = '(no subject)'
        self['Subject'] = subject
        self['From'] = sender
        if type(recip) == ListType:
            self['To'] = string.join(recip, ', ')
            self.recips = recip[:]
        else:
            self['To'] = recip
            self.recips = [recip]

I made the modification and give the new file to my provider but there seems to be a problem with it when restarting the process (problem that doesn't occur with the old file)

All the mailman web pages then show the following error :

> Bug in Mailman version 2.0.3
>
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
> Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing
> of traceback and other system information has been explicitly
> inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman
> error logs.

Is my modification correct ?
Is there anything else to modify at the same time in any mailman file to get this to work ?
Just an idea or a URL or instructions or whatever to help me solve this issue ?

Thanks all in advance for your help,
Best regards,

Emmanuel Beuque