[Mailman-Users] How to rename a list

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Sat Aug 18 09:25:14 CEST 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:25:14AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> Comments, questions?

Holly crap, that was detailled :-)
I've usually skipped several steps in what you gave, but what you gave is
definitely it.

>    - Before you restart everything, you want to make one last check.
>      You're looking for files in the qfiles/ directory that may have
>      been addressed to the old list but weren't delivered before you
>      renamed the list.  Do something like the following:
>
>      % cd /usr/local/mailman/qfiles
>      % grep oldname *.msg
>
>      If you get no hits, skip to the next step, you've got nothing to
>      worry about.

I think I have simpler than all this:
- Stop the MTA from taking connections from the outside but have it still
  accept connections from localhost
  Suggested ways:
  - use listen on interface directive in MTA if available
  - ip firewalling if available
  - remove default route or add bogus route that prevents the list server
    from receiving mail from the outside
- Run qrunner until the queue is empty or at least the messages for the
  list to rename are processed.

Marc