[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman sending duplicate msgs

Alan Bawden Alan at LCS.MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 9 23:39:13 CEST 2001

   Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:32:18 -0700
   From: Amanda <arandall at auntminnie.com>
   No kidding, it would piss me off too ... :-)

   We're currently still in development stages with our implementation of
   Mailman (such as it is) and haven't experienced this problem to date,
   but I've noticed a number of other people have been reporting and
   discussing this issue over the past few months. I haven't noticed a lot
   of definitive answers or information about this problem in particular,
   so I have some questions about its status.

Indeed.  I'm planning to move a bunch of mailing lists to mailman in the
near future, and of all the issues that I read about here, this is the only
one that really scares me.  It seems to keep happening to others over and
over again, and I know that if it happens to my lists, my users are going
to be very upset.

   Has it been reasonably established that the file lock is a/an/the cause
   of or contributor to this issue?  Has anyone managed to successfully
   correct the problem?

Until today, I would have guessed that the usual cause was a bug in
Sendmail.py involving "." quoting.  At least one recent victim seemed to
solve his problem by switching to SMTPDirect.

   Anyone working on leads?  Any proposed fixes in the future 2.1?

The locking is supposed to work better in 2.1, so that might eliminate this
possible cause...

But rather than speculate, it would be nice to have something definitive
from someone who Really Knows that provides some perspective on this
seemingly common problem.