[Mailman-Users] edit moderated messages?

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Aug 9 23:28:42 CEST 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:46:50 -0400
Thomas M Parris <parris at isciences.com> wrote:

> However, there is one important feature from listproc that I am
> unable to replicate with mailman, the ability for list moderators
> to edit messages as part of the approval process.  I can edit the
> message on the approval form, but the message is sent to the list
> without edits.

> I have checked the FAQ, the wish list, and the archives.  I see
> some discussion of this as a "wish" in the developers list during
> 1999, and one or two messages in the last year or so on the users
> list.

This is not currently a feature of Mailman.  At one time I started
on adding such a feature and then noticed that I could run XEmacs
directly on the held messages in ~/data and dropped the project
right there (XEmacs offers far more tools and flexibility than a web
form ever could).

> However, I see no indication that this feature has been
> implemented, or is being considered for implementation.

Its not a terribly difficult feature to add (ensure the form always
displays entire messages no matter their length, and then replace
the message string with the form value).  I just no longer have that
particular itch.

> 1. Am I blind?  If so, I would be most grateful of someone could
> point me to some information about how to do this.

I cheat and do it from the shell.

> 2. If it is not possible using the approval form, can someone
> suggest a work-around that would not be too cumbersome for a
> moderator that must approve/edit approximately 20-50 messages per
> day?

I do the above for 30 - 100 messages per day.

If you take this path, which I don't recommend, note carefully the
security exposures of granting privileged shell access to your list
moderators.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.