[Mailman-Users] Setup mailman but get following error when confirming?

Ricardo F. Kustner ricardo at rixhq.nu
Sat Aug 4 16:53:42 CEST 2001

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 08:36:21 -0500
"Scott Mayo" <sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us> wrote:

> I did not do the aliases, you were correct.  I did as you said:
> I am still getting the same thing.  Any other ideas.  I am brand new to
> the linux world, but I thought I had done everything like the
> instructions said.  The error makes me think that the user does not
> exist which it does not if I look at my user list.  Is mailman supposed
> to create the user test-request or does it just give an alias.  I looked
> at the file etc/postfix/aliases and etc/aliases and saw nothing in there
> if that is where it is suppose to be.  Thanks.

You mean it's not mentioned in /etc/aliases?
Mailman doesn't do this -- you have to edit /etc/aliases manually for
every list you create... (there are several reasons why mailman currently
doesn't do it)

here's an example:
(in this setup mailman resides in /usr/local/mailman)

## test mailing list
test:               "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
test-admin:          "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
test-request:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
test-owner:          test-admin

> > > I have setup mailman, but something must be wrong.  Everything goes
> fine
> > > until I try to confirm by subscription and the I get the following
> > > error:
> > > This is the Postfix program at host mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us.
> > > <test-request at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us>: unknown user:
> "test-request"
> > I think you forgot to update your /etc/aliases file as was instructed
> > after you ran ~mailman/bin/new_list ... but if you did, you probably
> > didn't have postfix reload it (type 'postfix reload')

Regards,

Ricardo.