[Mailman-Users] How many messages in an envelope?

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Apr 25 00:53:47 CEST 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Erik Parker wrote:
> > Is there a way to bump this down to say.. 2 people per envelope? Vs.. The
> > 20 or 30 it seems to put in now?
>
> Sorry to waste your bandwidth, I found what I was looking for in the
> Defaults.py .. Default was 500, I bumped it down to 2.. What do you know,
> sending messages to 25000 people at a time now, goes quite fast.

Increasing this number should result in lower bandwidth usage and
higher performance.  As an example, assume that your list has 1000
users on hotmail.com.  If you are sending messages with 2 recipients
then the best that your MTA can do is to batch two hotmail.com
recipients together.  If you are sending with 500 envelope recipients
then it might be able to batch half of the hotmail.com recipients
together in one shot.  As far as I know Mailman doesn't try to batch
recipients by domain though, so it is more likely that you'll send
25000/500 = 50 messages to hotmail for 1000 recipients, instead of
500-1000 messages.

If your MTA can handle it then I'd recommend increasing the number of
recipients.  I have it to set to 1000.

alex