[Mailman-Users] re: read only list? Mailman... new user

mtwalter mtwalter at lotterysoftware.net
Tue Apr 10 07:17:21 CEST 2001

Mailman,

It seems the host, Canaca.com, for our associations (Lancaster [PA]
Baseball and Softball Association) web site has changed a raft of "things"
we use on our site, today - an improvement they say.

We had a mailing list. We were just starting to use it and had finished
designing pages for folks to subcribe and unsubscribe from our lists with,
last week. Today we find that our list was removed in favor of your list.

While I see a ton of work in Mailman, I do not see much in the way of
information on how to make use of it. For all I know it may not be
installed properly as no one seems able to make it work (subscribe and
unsubscribe) so far (at Canaca.com).

I want a list that I can send mail to. Not one that anyone in the list can
mail to. I want NO options for the users, no web pages, nothing but a way
folks can subscribe and unsubscribe to our list, a list that only one
person can send mail to. I suspect you call this a read only list. You have
one. I see no options to select the KIND of list one wants, anywhere.

I don't want the email the list sends plastered with email and web
addresses where folks can mail to and go to, to do anything with the list
or list members or member options. It's just a news list. Here's the news.
Perhaps another list will need all those features, not this one.

Our previous list manager allowed a very simple list, you subscribed,
unsubscribed, and emailed (from one address) to it.

Can I do this with Mailman? How can I subscribe from a form that uses
cgi-email to mail the results of the form, including email address and
subject?

Congrats on all the features of Mailman, I am sure that for someone wanting
to do interactive mailing etc. that yours is the top dog, but for now
simple is what I had and need.

We have a newsletter going out in a few days that advertises our new
website to our members, and part of that was for the mailing list we had.
How can I get this list up and working to do what I want in a few days? Is
it possible.

I am stuck and asking for a helping hand. Please visit www.mylbsa.com and
you'll see it is non-profit, that we all do the work of making it run as
non-paid board members, coaches, parents and ball players (aged 5-18). Help.

If you send me techno talk about how to use the list similar to the text in
front of the MANY options it'll be of no use to me. I am a software
engineer, but write for windows and before for dos, never for unix. I like
manuals not help files. I'm 50. I'd rather sit in a comfortable chair and
read instructions instead of squinting at the screen of my Dell, trying to
flip web or help pages back and forth to make some sense of how to do a
thing - while my legs cramp up.

For example:

1. The public name of this list (make case-changes only) (from the general
options page of Mailman) This seems simple enough but...

Our lists name is mylbsanews. I've changed it to MyLBSAnews but that
doesn't work (change) when I save my changes. I had first named it (like
our old list) lbsa-news which didn't work at all as it didn't "like" the
hyphen or so the Canaca.com tech implied. The list corrupted after that and
had to be deleted and created again.

2. Restrict posting privilege to list members?
                          (member_posting_only)
This seems to imply posting can be done by only list members (which I don't
want as I want ONE person only to be able to post) until you read this..

Addresses of members accepted for posting to this list without
     implicit approval requirement. (See "Restrict ... to list members"
       for whether or not this is in addition to allowing posting by list
                                      members

WHAT?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael T. Walter (717) 299-4646 12 noon to 9pm EST
President, Walter Computer Services
President, Absolutely Lottery Software Stores ~ www.lotterysoftware.com
and
Board member, VP of fall ball and Webmaster for the Lancaster Baseball and
Softball Association (serving hundreds of kids yearly). www.mylbsa.com

You can create the most helpful thing ever known to man but if I can't
understand how to use it the effort is wasted on me and millions like me or
less informed than me. No one is as informed as you - the creator. I tell
this to GOD in my prayers all the time.

Visit our store: Absolutely Lottery Software Store at: www.lotterysoftware.com
Become an associate site and earn $$ for every visitor you send that purchases!
Contact Michael T. Walter at: mtwalter at lotterysoftware.net for details
For the Holidays we have a Poke'mon page: www.lotterysoftware.com/pokemon.html