[Mailman-Users] Mailman

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Apr 4 22:12:40 CEST 2001

On 4 Apr 2001, Neil Cooler wrote:
> Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> said:
> > It's windows 2000 that isn't compatible with mailman :-)
> > (the best part, is  that mailman being 95%+ python, it  could run on windows
> > with few modifications, but I don't think  any of the people able to do this
> > would see the point and bother to try and port it)
>
> How is this possible?  Is there an MTA which is similar enough in nature
> to sendmail to make this happen?

It would not be hard at all to port Mailman, or something like it, to
run on top of the Windows 2000 SMTP server (which comes out of the box
as part of IIS).

I've considered doing this at some point, although it is just as
likely that I'd write a new system from scratch.  Everything for my
mailing lists (MTA, searchable archives) runs on Windows 2000 except
for mailman itself.

I'm not really sure why Marc makes such sweeping statements as the one
above.

alex