[Mailman-Users] Is this NetBSD or the common Group ID problem

josh at ssimr.com josh at ssimr.com
Sun Apr 1 20:34:15 CEST 2001

I noticed that I'm having some problems with my test list. I
configured with the following command below. 31 is the group ID
"guest" and 39 in "nobody".

./configure --with-mail-gid=31 --with-cgi-gid=39

As far as I can tell when a new file is created or has its permissions
changed from the web based system - so that "nobody" is the owner, the
commands run - even with all the sgid bits set, don't have access to
them because they are running as guest. That is the mechanism is
insufficient to provide permissions.

The notes for BSD systems say that the sgid feature is not needed
because of the directory permissions inheritance inherent in BSD. I've
tried it both ways and I am still having problems.

I almost wish there was a setup option to simply have the files picked
up by a procmailrc file in /home/mailman - it would be more efficient
than running a cron job every minute. (I'd try to set it up but I
don't know the first thing about python.)

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at ssimr.com
http://www.ssimr.com

System notes: Macintosh Quadra 660av running NetBSD 1.5

I am working mostly from tarballs because it seems to be more fun.

I'm having these problems with Mailman 2.0.3

Apache 1.3.14 from the NetBSD package system.
sendmail 8.11.2
procmail 3.15.1
Python 2.0