[Mailman-Users] mail domain constraints on membership and posting

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Sep 21 19:37:56 CEST 2000

At 4:20 PM +0100 9/21/00, Richard Barrett wrote:

>1. Mail lists where people with e-mail addresses in certain mail
>domains (typically inside our business) are free to subscribe
>without approval, where users outside these domains but inside
>specific other domains have to be approved, and all other
>subscription attempts are rejected.

The way i'd do this (your mileage will vary) would be to set up two
lists, one requiring validation, another not, and put them under an
umbrella list. It's a lot easier to add functionality be able to
define access ot a list on a per-domain basis than to try to teach
lists to do one thing for some domains, and another thing for others.

in fact, you could do this today, almost, using umbrella lists and
the putting the list pages for the not-validated list behind a
security realm. Then, only those iwth the account/password to access
the pages can subscribe. that might be close enough to work for your
environment without hacking.

>2. Mail lists with members from both inside and outside our local
>mail domain, where posts from e-mail addresses inside our local mail
>domain have to be approved but posts from outside it do not.

can't you do that today? doesn't the forbidden posting option on the
privacy pages do this now?

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"