[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #760 - 11 msgs

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Sep 19 09:31:49 CEST 2000

At 2:29 AM -0500 9/19/00, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:
>You could always wrap your lists with procmail or some other type of
>filter

I do that now. I've done that for years -- but it completely
disconnects the action from the admin web pages mailman has. Rather
than weld bags on the side of the server, this stuff ought to be
integrated into the server, so it can be managed from the admin pages
the way all of the other stuff is.

Building filters around the MLM is stuff I've done for years. it's
got its advantages, but it means there are zillions of details to
keep track of, and places to tweak. And it's hard-to-impossible to
give end-users a consistent interface, and
impossible-to-very-impossible to do it for the admins.

It's a great way to do quick hacks. It's a horrible way to build
sustainable list managers.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"