[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe from list w/o passwd

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Thu Sep 14 16:02:54 CEST 2000

To follow up my own hack, I did a bit more testing and found this works
to allow users to subscribe and unsubscribe to a list w/o worrying about
choosing a password. To set this up you'll need to create a dummy email
address that dumps messages into /dev/null or some other mail
queue. Here's a quick break down:

messages should come from.

unsubscribe.

mylist at myhost.com -> The mailman list using a list passwd of
'mylistpasswd'.

1) User selects mylist from a drop down menu on a web page and enters
   their email address of user at userhost.com. They then click 'subscribe'
   to submit the form.

2) CGI creates an email addressed to mylist-request at myhost.com from
   dummy at myhost.com. The email has no subject and a single line in the
   body: "subscribe address=user at userhost.com"

3) Depending on list options the user will get a confirm message.

4) Depending on list options the list admin will get a new user subscribed
   message.

5) dummy at myhost.com will get a 'Your command results' message which will
   be routed to /dev/null or some other mail queue as to not bother the
   list admin.

To have a user unsubscribe it's the same process execpt in step 2 the
email body should contain the line: "unsubscribe mylistpasswd
user at userhost.com".

I know php3/php4 can do this rather nicely with the mail() function. Just
be sure to keep your listpasswd out of the webpage to prevent a user from
getting it by viewing the source.

--
Scott

--