[Mailman-Users] external archiver query

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Tue Sep 12 09:40:04 CEST 2000

> The problem is that the MIME type on attachements is getting set
> incorrectly:
>
> balance:~ ] lynx -head -dump http://server/mailman/private/test/jpg00000.jpg
>
> If I copy the attachment outside of the mailman directory, the MIME type
> is correct:
>
> balance:~ ] lynx -head -dump http://server/jpg00000.jpg
>
> Is this a bug, or do I need to move the archive directories outside of
> the Mailman heirarchy?

Chances are you have a ScriptAlias (or its equivalent) rewriting
/mailman to a directory containing executable Mailman CGI scripts.  That
means that /mailman/private is now being interpreted by a CGI script, not
by Apache.  Since Mailman doesn't know anything about MIME types, it
ignores them.

In the latter case, you're only relying on Apache's interpretation of
MIME issues, so it works.

Basically, move it to a different directory...  Or Alias /mailman/private
to the new directory.

Chris