[Mailman-Users] Bulk Subscriptions.

Brian Beers bdbeers at digiscents.com
Wed Oct 18 23:36:24 CEST 2000

I sent a message a couple of days ago trying to get information on a problem
we had doing a bulk subscription.  I will try to recount this more clearly.

I built my server and got it prepped for production, after many arguments
and headaches, I hacked a few lines in the code and came up with a suitable
solution.

Marketing wanted to send a message on Monday.  I cleared the archives and
proceeded to do a bulk subscription through the web interface, about 8,000
addresses.  After the submit button was pressed, the machine starting
chugging away at the work.  We could not reload the web page.  We were
unable to connect to the admin pages for the list at all for at least an
hour.  I finally gave up and went to bed.  In the morning the system was
working normally and the subscriptions were all there.  In short, the
message was not sent (posted) because I did not know what the state of the
server was.

We had the administrator gets email notifying him of adds deletes from the
list set to on.  We had no notifications being sent to the list members.

I would like to know if there is a logical reason that the admin pages were
unavailable for that amount of time?  What is the amount of work that
mailman has to do to subscribe members?
Is there any other admin out there that has noticed this behavior?

Thanks.