[Mailman-Users] looping

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 12:06:14 CEST 2000

yan at cardinalengineering.com said:
> For now I've set the "reply to" to sender, which should keep that
> noise to a minimum, but I'd like to go back to replying to the list.
> Is there any way to prevent this?

In short, no.  You cannot defend easily against gratuitously broken
software.  I would personally see if there was an identifying mark in
the headers for the mailer that guy was using and use that as a
selector to catch incoming mail to the list.  I'd also probably just
block the whole originating domain of that guy in my MTA, but I have a
nasty inclination.

Maybe we should attempt to detect an unusual rate of posting from an
address and start holding mail from them - this is fraught with
problems and is bound to not work when it matters.  Can anyone suggest
an algorithm that might have a chance of detecting stuff - there is
some rate detection in the bounce handlers I believe.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]