[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 2 22:07:52 CEST 2000

> At this point we're using Majordomo, which is satisfactory enough for
> the moment, and Mailman is "another server."  We've a few problems
> with Majordomo, but nothing critical to the point of demanding an
> immediate move.
>
> We'd like to move to something better than Majordomo, and if we can
dispose
> of the various nuisances related to passwords, it looks like Mailman
> is the leading candidate.

I'd agree that Mailman is in almost all ways an excellent choice to replace
Majordomo.

It has many excellent features.

My ONLY problem with it is that it requires passwords (a unique feature not
found on any other listserver that I know of, so that users find it an
unfamiliar requirement) and that the required passwords aren't optional.
When Mailman has so many options that are configurable, I don't know how
this one got overlooked. :-)

I'm hoping for a change (in the password requirement area). I really don't
want to abandon Mailman. But I also can't continue to ignore the hundreds of
administrative requests that each list administrator must bear because of
the unique password requirement.

Gary