[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Oct 2 21:52:26 CEST 2000

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 03:25:22PM -0400, Gary Wilson wrote:
> I wish there were a way to turn off passwords altogether. But there's not.
> And its not an option in beta6. Since there has been no comment on this
> subject by the primary developers, I think that you should assume that it
> won't be an option in version 2.0.

Sounds like there's some movement in that direction.

Like you say, I could do as well with no passwords at all.

> I think that you'll have to start looking for another listserver program. I
> know that I will have to if the passwords can't be turned off. I have a
> server with something like 10 lists, and the person responsible for
> administering every one of those lists is complaining about the extra
> administrative hassles that are imposed on them because users can't change
> things without a password.

At this point we're using Majordomo, which is satisfactory enough for
the moment, and Mailman is "another server."  We've a few problems
with Majordomo, but nothing critical to the point of demanding an
immediate move.

We'd like to move to something better than Majordomo, and if we can dispose
of the various nuisances related to passwords, it looks like Mailman
is the leading candidate.

> I wish one of the Mailman developers would make it clear whether or not
> passwords will be made optional, and if so when it will be implemented.
>
> Gary

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549             Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549              URL     http://www.ssc.com/