[Mailman-Users] A funny thing happened...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Oct 2 07:18:47 CEST 2000

on the ay to the mail list.

Since it's the first of the month, my sites sent out the monthly
subscription notice. And I had a user complain about the site sending
out the list password in cleartext (my first thought was "how ELSE am
I supposed to send you the password, given that the system has no
encryption in it?" but I bit my tongue.)

He demanded I fix this, and when I declined, he unsubscribed in a bit
of a huff.

I bring this up for a couple of reasons:

1) has anyone else ever run into something like this? My philosophy
is that you're more than welcome to get upset about things I think
are silly (but I don't promise to take it as seriously as you do,
just to try to not snicker in your hearing), but I just don't get it.
Especially since the site is pretty good at telling you NOT to use
sensitive passwords. But -- is this guy off the chart, or have I just
been lucky?

2) this probably should be chalked up as a vote for "making passwords
optional" for lists. Personally, I think the added security passwords
add is overwhelmed by the confusion and complexity they cause the
user, so I'd like to turn them off. There are lists where they could
be useful, but I could live without them...

My feeling is this guy isn't something to overly worry about, but I
bring it up in case someone else thinks of something I've missed...

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.