[Mailman-Users] Cannot save admin options -- here's my fix

david sims david at simscomputing.com
Mon Oct 2 01:21:57 CEST 2000

hi, I've been struggling with the problem that others have experienced where if
you save some Admin options, the changes don't take and you're rerouted to the
password page, over and over again.

I debugged this using the 'lynx' web browser. Lynx would say something like
"Accept invalid cookie /cgi-bin/mailman as prefix for /mailman/listinfo?' when
I went to the Mailman admin page.

It occured to me that, for whatever reason, Mailman was putting out cookies in
a fixed format "/cgi-bin/mailman" and that I had to make sure my Apache setup
conformed to what Mailman wanted.

So I changed ScriptAlias in /etc/apache/httpd.conf to read:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/

/usr/lib/mailman is where I have Mailman installed. After that change, I tested
it once more with Lynx and it worked. Then it started working under Netscape as
well.

So now the cookies that get put out by Mailman match up to the URLs that the
browsers are seeing.

hope that helps someone,
david

David Sims             david at simscomputing.com